Senior Analytical Scientist
At Apeel, we look to nature to help the global food system extend quality, prevent waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
We are seeking a motivated, creative, and resourceful Senior Scientist with a background and expertise in analytical chemistry to aid in formulation discovery and characterization within Apeel Labs. An individual interested in this position will work closely with other researchers within Apeel Labs and across the company to characterize complex chemical mixtures of plant and microbial biomass with the goal of identifying new ingredients and formulations that help to further reduce waste in produce supply chains.
[This position will be an onsite role based out of our headquarter office in Goleta, CA]
What You'll Do
- Lead projects focused on separating and identifying molecular components of extracts from biomass
- Develop methods to characterize and quantify molecules from complex mixtures
- Troubleshoot instrument and/or method issues to ensure accurate and timely data collection
- Effectively interpret and communicate methodologies, research data, and results
- Support the ongoing research efforts of the Apeel Labs team by providing analytical support and analysis
- Keep up-to-date on prior and current literature associated with the formulations and be able to efficiently disseminate major results and findings to the team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to workplace safety through adherence to corporate safety policies.
What You'll Bring
- A Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry with a focus in Mass Spectrometry, Metabolomics, Proteomics, Chemometrics and/or Molecular Networking required
- Experience with a broad range of sample preparation methods including liquid extraction, solid phase extraction, and solid phase microextraction
- A strong familiarity with liquid and gas chromatography
- Experience identifying the molecular components of complex mixtures derived from plant or microbial biomass - those with strong MS expertise are preferred
- A proven track record of research excellence, as demonstrated by an extensive publication and presentation record
- A commitment to workplace and laboratory safety
- A demonstrated commitment to learning and mentorship
- Passion for problem-solving and developing others; excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills; and the proven capability to make timely and sound decisions
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to work within teams, especially as a part of multidisciplinary collaborations.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have any need for accommodations, you can let us know if you choose and know that we will do our best to assist you.