Sr. Research Associate
SR. RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
GRINNELL, IOWA - BREEDNG SITE
BE BOLD! BE INSPIRED! BE REAL! BE YOU.
Our core values are what drive and inspire us. We are not seeking ordinary – we are seeking those who want to build something unique, be challenged, and shake the food system as we know it. Here at Benson Hill, you’ll be part of something greater than yourself. You’ll do work you’ve only heard of. We want the real you.
HOW WE'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU:
We have a Total Rewards package at Benson Hill based on a Pay Transparency Philosophy. Total Rewards at Benson Hill goes beyond just compensation (salary and bonus). We include competitive health (employer benefit contributions), wealth (investments), and more. Some of the additional perks include:
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- 401K Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- Wellness Benefit Support (Fitness, Nutrition, and Mental Health)
The Research and Development Department is responsible for the development of technology platforms and products designed to support the future growth, competitiveness, and long-term sustainability of the company. As part of its platform development efforts, R&D conducts a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of trait discovery and validation, crop genetic engineering, crop transformation, molecular detection, biochemical assays, plant growth, and molecular breeding, to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is then leveraged to create new product development opportunities and shorten the time to market. The department leverages its platform capabilities and extensive knowhow in biology and crop science, along with the computational expertise housed within the Data Science & Platform Engineering, as well as the market insights of the Business Development and Commercial teams to design and create new and improved crop varieties, which offer tangible benefits to farmers and consumers, specifically in the areas of sustainability, health and nutrition.
Supports research activities by performing routine research tasks under supervision. Follows protocols to collect data and log data findings.
YOU'LL BE EMPOWERED TO:
- Participate in seed packaging and processing
- Plan and forecast seasonal needs
- Organize and conduct field experiments (Including: Planting, scouting, spraying, harvest)
- Lead tasks that need to be completed by other full time employees & seasonal staff to achieve quality results.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively within teams or across the organization
- Operate, adjust, and successfully troubleshoot various agriculture equipment such as: planters, sprayers, combines, seed threshers, seed counters, other field & lab equipment.
- Safely transport equipment to internal locations for success
- Collect and process seed and tissue samples for laboratory and field tests.
- Maintains clean and organized facilities, equipment, and instruments.
- Adhere to all safety and seed stewardship protocols and expectations
- Conduct projects and tasks as assigned
- Overnight travel required
YOU WILL NOT:
Be an order taker. You are here to drive change
Accept Ordinary. You will challenge the way things are done
Go through the motions. You'll need to help build the strategy
Create silos. You will work across the enterprise in a positive and influential way
Act only in your best interest. The success of Benson Hill is dependent upon all team members working together for the greater good of the organization
YOU HAVE THE SKILLS WE NEED:
- Education: Minimum Requirement is HS Diploma or GED plus 5 years of relevant experience; Advanced degree preferred
- Qualifications/Skills: Ability to carry out assigned tasks, take ownership, fast learner, follow directions and protocols, and track results; strong customer service, patience, and passion for the work is needed.
- +5 years relevant experience
- Agricultural experience
- Field research experience preferred
- Microsoft office programs and various software packages
- Strong agronomic and mechanical skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Operate small electronic equipment
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- Pesticide Applicator's License or ability to obtain within 3-6 months of hire
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and Medical Examiner's Certificate or ability to obtain within 3-6 months of hire
- Innovative mindset
- Must be capable of working extended hours during time-sensitive periods of growing season.
- Strong attention to detail
- Operate forklift in a safe manner
- Ability to focus, take project ownership, demonstrate leadership, work independently, work as a team member, establish priorities, and proceed with tasks without supervision