Scientist, Natural Product Chemistry
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence (A.I.) that illuminates nature to restore human health. Brightseed’s proprietary A.I., Forager®, accelerates bioactive discovery, biological validation and ingredient formulation from years to months, rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Through Forager® and clinical evaluation, Brightseed partners with organizations across the consumer health continuum to offer insight into the world of bioactives and health solutions. Visit www.brightseedbio.com to learn more.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes or curcumin in turmeric, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, aspirin and Metformin, the latter a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted – often referred to as the “dark matter” of nutrition. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Brightseed is looking for an excellent scientist to lead technical projects driving collaborative research programs, strategies, and objectives to completion. You are an expert in Natural Product Chemistry or related disciplines and will report to Senior Scientist, Natural Product Chemistry. You are truly excited about the opportunity to contribute to building a novel collection of natural products that enable human health and wellness. In this role, you will work with a multidisciplinary team of natural product chemists, biologists, computational biologists, process engineers, and product development scientists to deliver solutions to unmet industrial needs.
You are an experienced chemist with a passion for exploring the chemical diversity that nature has evolved and how we may harness that diversity for the betterment of human health. You are self-starting, collaborative, well-organized and excited about developing and applying approaches in natural products chemistry and analytical chemistry to make discoveries that meaningfully impact human health. You are able to both guide long-term research investigations, as well as roll up your sleeves and execute experiments on a daily basis.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Lead investigations to discover and develop innovative, natural health solutions based on natural products
- Design, implement and validate state-of-the-art natural product chemistry capabilities
- Develop strategic recommendations regarding core company technical capabilities, including workflows, instruments, and other technologies
- Establish natural product extraction, isolation and purification pipelines for a diverse set of feedstocks and products
- Support multiple internal and external programs through applications of different chemical techniques
- Provide technical leadership by training and mentoring junior team members
THE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEED
- Ph.D. in Natural Product Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Chemistry, Metabolomics or related discipline
- Preferably 2-3 years of postgraduate experience in a relevant research area
- Experience in design, development, and optimization of chemistry workflows for natural small molecule purification and characterization
- Extensive experience with automated tools for the analysis of LC/MS data, untargeted metabolomics
- Well-established career in compound characterization using both 1D and 2D NMR techniques, and NMR data processing
- Deep understanding of natural product biosynthesis is strongly preferred
- Able to work independently in the lab, hands-on experience in operating state of art of analytical systems like LC-MS or LC-MS/MS and LC/mass guided fractionation purification systems, conventional detection systems like DAD, PDA, ELSD, etc
- Experience in assaying the bioactivity of natural products is highly desirable
- Strong listening, writing, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional collaborations toward shared goal
- This position will consist of approximately 20% desk work, and 80% lab work
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at time
- The salary range for this position is $126,000 - $141,000
- Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant qualifications and work experience, academic credentials, job related skills, employment location and other factors
THE BENEFITS YOU'LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.
See more open positions at Brightseed
Something looks off?