Hydrometallurgy Intern (Summer 2024)
Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the health of the planet.
Internship Program Summary:
The 2024 Summer Internship Program is open to current undergraduate and graduate students pursuing majors in related fields.
The goal of the Program is to provide students with hands-on, industry experience while offering the opportunity to make valuable contributions at Team Electra.
In this you will:
- Perform bench-scale experiments to evaluate materials and process parameters for leaching, precipitation, solvent extraction or other chemical/hydrometallurgical processes
- Perform standardized chemical and material analyses
- Work closely with senior R&D team members on experimental design and data analysis
- Communicate research findings in an end-of-term presentation to the technical team
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in metallurgy, chemistry, or chemical/metallurgical engineering
- Knowledge of basic wet chemistry and laboratory safety
- Familiarity with aqueous chemistry concepts and fundamentals
- Ability to perform stoichiometry calculations and mass balances
- Knowledge of hydrometallurgical process steps such as leaching, precipitation, solvent extraction, or related
What’s in it for you:
- Hands-on experience in an industry environment
- Opportunity to work on novel technologies
- Opportunity to collaborate with other teams
- The pay rate for this position is $28.00 per hour for undergraduate students and $31.00 per hour for graduate students.
Interns are responsible for finding and paying for their housing solutions for the summer. Electra will provide suggestions for housing and will assist with connecting you with other interns after an accepted offer.