Process Engineering Intern
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
We are searching for Process Engineer Interns to join our team! In this role, you will contribute to the development of ultrapure water, oxygen, and hydrogen handling processes for PEM electrolysis plants. This will require working with internal teams, suppliers, and external partners to ensure that process units meet product requirements. In this work you will contribute to the decarbonization of H2 production and the eventual decarbonization of a wide range of hard to address industries.
You will work onsite and split time between our offices in San Jose, CA and San Carlos, CA and will report into the Product Engineer Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the design of process plants through the development of process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams
- Work with stack and cell teams to model and translate electrochemical activity into plant level process models and designs
- Translate product requirements into equipment specifications, drawings, and narratives
- Work to specify process equipment including phase separation units, heat exchangers, and gas purification equipment
- Perform heat and material balances of PEM water electrolysis plants
- Perform process-related studies necessary to inform your design e.g. CFD, Gas Dispersion, Heat Transfer Calculations
- Review heat exchange, vessel, and other process equipment sizing calculations from suppliers.
Experience and Qualifications
- Working toward a B.S. or M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience with ASPEN Plus/HYSYS or similar process modeling tools is a plus
- Experience with plant operation in a commercial, pilot or lab environment is a plus
- Heat transfer equipment sizing/calculation experience is a plus
- Electrochemical process experience is a plus
- All students will have the opportunity to develop communication skills, gain laboratory experience and benefit from a valuable experience within a start-up culture while learning about the energy industry.
- $1,500 transportation stipend will be provided or $3,000 relocation stipend (depending on location).
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!