Hazel Technologies Inc., founded in 2015, is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to improve the quality and extend the shelf life of fresh produce throughout the global supply chain. The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
The Accounting Manager will undertake all aspects of financial statement preparation, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget, and forecasts preparation, as well as assisting in developing internal control policies and procedures. The Accounting Manager will report to the Corporate Controller.
- Oversee and manage the general accounting functions including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense reimbursement, credit card activity, sales and use tax and general ledger.
- Train and supervise team members, working with them to develop their professional goals.
- Review and approve journal entries as well as prepare journal entries as needed.
- Review account reconciliations prepared by accounting seniors and staff and propose adjustments if required.
- Actively participate in month end close by managing individual deadlines and deliverables.
- Manage Chart of Accounts.
- Prepare payroll journal entries and reconcile payroll.
- Manage grant reporting.
- Work closely with International Accounting Manager and Corporate Controller on monthly consolidation.
- Prepare variance analysis on consolidated financial statements.
- Assist with maintenance of accounting policies, including related documentation of internal control procedures and recommendations for process improvements.
- Participate in the implementation of new ERP system (Oracle Fusion)
- Assist with annual audit performed by external auditors as needed, preparing audit and tax schedules
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting as well as support cross functional teams’ requests.
- Assist with other projects on an as needed basis.
- Certified Public Accountant, or similar designation, preferred.
- 7+ years of progressive accounting experience.
- 3+ years of public accounting experience and a blend of public accounting experience and industry experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP. Complete understanding of the technical aspects of account analyses and financial statements.
- Ability to exercise time management and prioritization skills, as well as impeccable organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products. Advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent managerial skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience with a large ERP system – Oracle a plus.
Salary Range: $130,000-$150,000
You'll Love Working at Hazel Because
- We've come to transform the food system. You'll be able to make a big contribution to our work at the nexus of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only getting started.
- Our team is motivated by a set of shared values. These keep us on track and remind us how to be present every day in the midst of change and ambiguity. Collaboration, respect, positivity, and humility are all valued, whether in the office, at home, or on the fields, and we strive to empower individuals at every stage.
- Benefits and perks, of course!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. At Hazel, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com