Senior Software Engineer, Routing Team
Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
We are looking for a product-driven software engineer to join our team as we scale our groundbreaking Wayfinder weather routing service for the maritime transport industry. In this position you will help design, develop, and maintain services in the Wayfinder Optimization Engine – an optimal ship-routing tool that combines weather data with ship performance models and user-specified constraints to find the most efficient routes across the worlds' oceans, saving fuel, emissions and reducing risk
Building a great product will require you to have a deep understanding of our customers, their workflows and the data they work with every day. You’ll collaborate with a top-notch team of engineers and ocean scientists to translate abstract requirements into great code in a novel problem space. You’ll spend a lot of time implementing and improving core algorithms, but will also contribute to the higher level web services and infrastructure in the ecosystem.
Our tech stack includes Typescript and React on the frontend with backend APIs written using Typescript and Python. You’ll be primarily be working on our routing optimization system, which is written in Rust with some elements in Python. You should be comfortable working with both high- and low-level languages and will be collaborating with engineers to deliver end-to-end features to users. You’re excited to learn new domains & technologies when needed and are a strong communicator with other engineers and non-technical team members.
- Passionate about the opportunity to join a growing mission-driven startup to make a big positive impact on the world
- A great communicator with a collaborative mindset who enjoys working with other engineers, designers, product managers, and scientists
- 3+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- Experience in Rust, C++, C (compiled, non-garbage-collected language)
- Experience in Python or Typescript
- Experience building software for optimization problems, pathfinding algorithms, and/or controls systems
- Experience working with modeling and data science applications and teams
- Experience working with scaled application deployment and management
- A personal connection to or passion for the oceans
Estimated Salary Range
- $150,000 - $165,000
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.