Intern, Field Sales
Why you should join us:
At Sound Agriculture, we believe our food system can nourish consumers while benefiting farming communities and the planet. Through a deeper understanding of plant and microbial biology, we are leveraging the natural power of plants to make agriculture more agile and resilient. Our work focuses on developing nutrient efficiency products and modernizing plant breeding to improve the way we farm and the food we eat.
Sound is a Series D startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture including Leaps by Bayer, Syngenta Group Ventures, S2G Ventures, BMO Impact Investment Fund, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Fall Line Capital, Cavallo Ventures, FootPrint Coalition and Northpond Ventures.
What you'll do:
The sales team has an opportunity for a skilled and motivated intern to help us expand our reach with current and prospective customers. This role focuses on driving prospective grower and dealer awareness of Sound Agriculture and our flagship product SOURCE through collaborative efforts within our Field Sales Team. In this internship position, the incumbent works closely with Field Account Executives, Regional Sales Managers and Agronomists to impact the growth of SOURCE in production agriculture. This is a prime opportunity to gain experience in a core sales role including prospecting, cold-calling, delivering presentations, and closing deals (with oversight and support from our team).
The Intern, Field Sales reports to the Director, Field Sales for the Northeast Area and is based remotely in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, or Michigan. There is a travel expectation of approximately 30%. Reliable transportation is required.
The internship program begins in late May and ends in early to mid-August depending on individual needs and availability.
$17.00 per hour
Interns are not eligible for company provided benefits or equity.
- Drive brand awareness of Sound Agriculture and SOURCE through on-farm visits to current and prospective growers
- Support the Field Sales Team with in-season customer needs
- Participate in Dealer and Retailer activities, including grower events and training sessions
- Represent Sound Agriculture with a positive attitude at all events and activities
- Gather testimonials, photographs, and videos from current SOURCE customers
- Assist with prospecting research, interviews, cold calls, and sales
- Complete a special project as assigned by the Director, Field Sales and the Field Sales Team
- Present the findings of the special project to the Sound Agriculture team during an All Hands meeting
- Report all activity to the Director, Field Sales on a weekly basis
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Director, Field Sales or the Field Sales team
Targeted Skills and Experience
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or higher degree in an Agriculture related field, including but not limited to Agricultural Economics, Agriculture Business Management, or Agronomy.
- Valid driver's license with a safe driving record
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to self-manage time and execute on assigned responsibilities
- Must live in assigned territory
This position includes physical demands such as walking, scouting, sampling, and working in production cropping fields with varying weather and elements, driving between farm sites and other locations as needed, some overnight travel, and regularly lifting objects (up to 60 lbs).
This role demonstrates our core values of:
- Boldness, by bringing fresh perspectives and jumping into meaningful work alongside our sales team, being unafraid to cold-call prospects, and confident in voicing new ideas.
- Ownership, by taking a project from concept to business impact in a short, multi-week summer program.
- Tenacity, by persevering through challenges, seeking to learn from others, having initiative to utilize the resources available and deliver results working smarter, not harder.
- Creativity, by introducing new ways to approach our work that builds on existing relationships, and advances new ones quickly.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work in a disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive total rewards package, including equity
- Performance bonus structure or uncapped commission plan for sales positions
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Mental health and wellbeing benefits
- In-person and virtual events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!) (e.g. First Fridays, Meditation, Potlucks, Cultural Events, Running and Climbing groups, Photo Contests, weekly Team lunch, etc.)
Sound Agriculture does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies responding to job postings. We will not respond to unsolicited requests to submit candidates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.