Research Associate: Product Development
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
What you will own at Wildtype
- Explore different technologies to develop next generation of cultivated seafood products
- Work with the cell integration division to improve the properties of our current protein- and carbohydrate- based scaffolds through functionalization of raw food ingredients, sourcing new ingredients and testing new formulations
- Work with the commercialization team to bring our products from benchtop scale to pilot plant scale.
- Collaborate with upstream teams (cell bio, process development, etc) to bring novel ideas into reality.
What we’ll teach you
- New product development process from conceptualization to final marketing.
- How to apply your skills in the context of next-generation sustainable meat production.
- Scale up benchtop volumes of cultivated meat to commercialization volumes.
- How to continue growing as a scientist with outside-the-box thinking, creative experimental design, execution, and analysis.
- Techniques such as scaffold fabrication, functional assays, advanced microscopy, rheology, texture analysis, sensory test, and sourcing methodologies
What you bring to Wildtype
- M.S with 0-2 years or B.S with 2-4 years experience in Food Science, Material Science, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering or related fields.
- Protein chemistry, food processing background with a good understanding of plant-based ingredients (proteins, carbohydrates and fats), and component functionality & interactions in a food product as a whole is preferred.
- Alternative meat product (plant based meat analogue or cultivated meat) development experience is preferred.
- Comfortable taking notes, writing reports, and performing laboratory-related arithmetic.
- Capable of overcoming obstacles/difficulties with a positive attitude; enjoys challenges; proven ability to see goals through to the end.
- A hunger for learning, growth, and being part of a fast-moving, interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organization skills..
- Able to learn quickly and excel in a fast-paced work environment.
- Self-starter, willing to take initiative to accomplish key tasks.
- Within 1 month you’ll have carried out your first experiment on your own, with the support of your scientific mentor. We’ll rely on you to test different formulations and other experimental reagents without supervision. You will have performed a few advanced analyses (including taste tests) on the samples you have produced. You will have defined your professional development goals for the next twelve months.
- Within 3 months you will be independently carrying out routine activities such as sourcing, tissue assembling, formulations, and polymer functionalization without supervision. You will have contributed to the design of several experiments.
- Within 6 months your product development skills will have developed to the point where you can independently train a new hire on Wildtype’s entire product production process. Your work will be organized effectively to achieve tasks on time at a high level of quality. You will have executed your first independently designed experiment with controls, and presented your findings at a company-wide research meeting.
- Within 12 months you’ll be managing and carrying out multiple experiments simultaneously. You will be able to articulate how your work directly impacts the company’s milestones. You will routinely take the initiative to research topics independently and volunteer new ideas or approaches.
Location: This position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.
Something looks off?