Animal Nutrition Scientist
Animal Nutrition Scientist
About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop better feed and better food outcomes by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better varieties and ingredients. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
Our Research and Development team is responsible for the development of technical innovations and products designed to support the future growth, competitiveness, and long-term sustainability of the company. As part of its platform development efforts, R&D conducts a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of trait discovery and validation, crop genetic engineering, crop transformation, molecular detection, biochemical assays, plant growth, and molecular breeding, to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is then leveraged to create new product development opportunities and shorten the time to market. The team leverages platform capabilities and extensive knowhow in biology and crop science, along with computational expertise in Data Science & Platform Engineering, as well as the market insights of the Business Development and Commercial teams to design new seed genetics that create improved varieties and ingredients. These varieties and ingredients offer tangible benefits of improved nutrition, sustainability, and affordability.
Your role as an Animal Nutritionist is to promote a better understanding of the effect of specifically designed soybeans on feed outcomes related to formulation costs, digestibility, feed conversion rates, and animal welfare.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Design next generations of soybean products for poultry, swine, aquaculture, and pet food
- Lead the evaluation of millions of improved feed alternatives to optimize product development specifications by working closely with the CropOS in silico modeling team and the soy genetic Crop Design team
- Assess the benefits of specifically improved soybean compositions on the nutritional and caloric requirements of different animal species and populations.
- Consider factors such as growth stage, reproductive status, activity level etc.
- Evaluate factors like ingredient availability, cost-effectiveness, and palatability to develop diets that meet the animals' needs while being practical for production.
- Optimize feed formulations on these factors to understand the costs and benefits of new to the market ingredients
- Engage with internal and external partners to design and evaluate animal feeding studies to quantify performance of feed ingredients
- Develop high throughput methodologies to rapidly understand impact of formulations
- Ensure the quality and safety of recommendations
- Liaise with producers and clients to understand new and emerging needs
- Support commercial teams in producing and launching new products
(Competencies and Qualifications)
PhD or Master’s degree preferred (Bachelor's with 10 years' experience also acceptable)
Qualifications related to Animal Nutrition, Animal science, Biology and Biochemistry.
- Animal nutrition, animal science, animal genetics, and ration formulation
- Developing and analyzing animal feeding trials
- Poultry and/or swine is preferred
- Methods of nutrition analysis and diet formulation
You'll need to show:
- Strong expertise in comparing differences between feed formulations
- Basic skill set in programming (R, Python, etc.)
- Demonstrated excellence in analyzing, interpreting, and communicating ideas
- Demonstrated strong ability to work in a fast-paced and highly interactive workplace
- Business-management, time-management and personal-development skills
- Self-starter with a positive outlook and motivated demeanor
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- Low Cost Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….