Senior Manager/Director Pipeline Strategy, Bioactives
Research Triangle Park, Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Friday, April 7, 2023
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence (A.I.) that illuminates nature to restore human health. Brightseed’s proprietary A.I., Forager®, accelerates bioactive discovery, biological validation and ingredient formulation from years to months, rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Through Forager® and clinical evaluation, Brightseed partners with organizations across the consumer health continuum to offer insight into the world of bioactives and health solutions. Visit www.brightseedbio.com to learn more.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes or curcumin in turmeric, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, aspirin and Metformin, the latter a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted – often referred to as the “dark matter” of nutrition. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
Thanks to our proprietary technology Forager, Brightseed has an abundance of bioactives to develop into highly differentiated and valuable B2B ingredient products. An essential responsibility of this role will be to identify, value and prioritize the best ingredient products for pipeline development and manage the development of our pipeline products to ensure target product profiles and timelines are met.
As a Bioactives Director, you will need to establish and run (with the partnership of the Project Management Org (PMO)) a highly effective and efficient StageGating process, bringing together information and analysis to ensure that data driven and commercially-centric decisions are taken to move programs forward, maximizing pipeline value. In addition, this role acts as the ingredient industry expert and commercial voice to drive the development of target product profiles that will support differentiated value propositions instrumental in ensuring commercial product success.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
- Deliver commercially-driven opportunity assessments, valuations and forecasting to support StageGate decisions to advance product in development
- Drive the development of target product profiles that will guide development and clinical evidence plans for our pipeline products
- Translate data and insights to inform the development of highly differentiated product value propositions and target claims
- Demonstrate analytical and quantitative acumen required for accurate valuations and forecasting (unmet needs, ingredient sales, competitive landscape and evidence requirements)
- Perform landscape surveillance and influence competitive and market intelligence efforts through a deep understanding of the B2B ingredient industry, relevant/competitor platform technologies, and current and future market dynamics
- Opportunity assessment, valuation and forecasting, target product profile and value proposition development
- Product and pipeline prioritization
THE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEED
- Extensive experience in developing strategy and managing product development in B2B ingredients (5-7 years for Sr. Manager, 8-10+ years for Director)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or technical degree in Food/Nutrition Sciences, Biology, or other related field; MBA strongly preferred
- Commercial assessment and business case development, valuation and forecasting expertise, quantitative acumen and analytical skills
- B2B Ingredients experience is required, consumer brand, pharmaceutical and health product experience would also be a plus
- Food, beverage and supplement sector expertise, including strong understanding of ingredients and innovation processes and applications.
- Proven track record of working with other departments to facilitate delivery of innovation
- Expertise in analyzing, scoping and forecasting market sizes and opportunity value
- Effective collaboration with sales to generate and update revenue forecasts
- Financial acumen to develop and maintain pipeline program forecasts
- Strong framework and process development skill and experience in building a best in class StageGate process for product development
- Strong entrepreneurial ability and sense of accountability for delivering projects
- Willingness to work independently and take initiative to drive projects forward and be proactive
- Ability to partner effectively across functions and act as a thought partner to key stakeholders across a rapidly growing organization, as well as develop and manage a team with urgency to deliver against multi priorities and tight timelines
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization and to key stakeholders about our pipeline and specific programs
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at time
THE BENEFITS YOU'LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.
See more open positions at Brightseed
Something looks off?