Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the health of the planet.
What you will do:
As an Electrochemical Engineer on the Test Engineering team, you will focus on cell and stack level testing supporting technology and product development. The majority of your time will be spent in the lab prototyping, assembling, testing, and analyzing electrochemical cells and stacks. In this role you will:
- Prototype and assemble electrochemical components and cells to support testing objectives
- Design and assemble experimental test setup and troubleshoot hardware, system, and software issues as needed
- Design test campaigns and write and execute test plans to explore a wide range of process experimental phase space; understand experimental factor sensitivity and interactions
- Utilize electrochemical diagnostic techniques to screen materials and evaluate cell performance.
- Critically analyze and interpret experimental data, write test reports, and present test results to the broader team
- Collaborate with other team members in the cross-functional group, as well as with other teams in the company to develop solutions
What we need you to bring to the team:
- BS in Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrochemical Engineering
- Fundamental knowledge of electrochemistry, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat & mass transfer, chemical kinetics, and materials.
- Hands-on experience in an experimental role working with relevant electrochemical cells such as fuel cells, electrolyzers, and/or flow batteries.
- Familiar with electrochemical characterization techniques including potentiometry, cyclic voltammetry, impedance spectroscopy, and instrumentation
- Experience analyzing experimental data, reaching conclusions, and communicating results
- The ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as needed
- The ability to adapt quickly to changing processes and responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A safety-first mindset; share potential risks with others before they result in hazardous outcomes
What we want you to bring to the team:
- MS in related field preferred
- Electrochemical engineering development experience in a relevant field such as fuel cell, electrolyzer, and flow battery.
- Experience in statistical analysis and design of experiments, including knowledge of state-of-the-art statistical software packages such as JMP or equivalent
- Hands-on experience with general wet chemistries and reactions
- Familiar with materials science characterization techniques such as scanning electron microscopy, optical microscopy, hardness testing, etc.
- Experience or the desire to be in a dynamic startup environment
- Ability to think critically and an execution/results-oriented mindset
- A desire to challenge yourself and take on increasing responsibilities as the company grows
What’s in it for you:
- Career growth
- Opportunity to develop new processes
- Opportunity to support a wide variety of projects
- Recognition and appreciation
- The ability to share your perspectives and opinions in a hyper-collaborative environment
Benefits For You:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, telemedicine, short-term disability, long-term disability, and basic life insurance plans
- Unlimited PTO
- $1,800 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
Benefits For Your Family:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, and telemedicine plans
- $3,600 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave and flexible return-to-work options
Benefits For Your Future:
- 401k with up to 5% matching contributions which vest 100% on day one
- Eligibility for incentive stock options