Process Development Engineer Intern
Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the planet's health.
Internship Program Summary:
The 2024 Summer Internship Program is open to current undergraduate and graduate students pursuing majors in related fields.
The goal of the Program is to provide students with hands-on, industry experience while offering the opportunity to make valuable contributions at Team Electra.
In this you will:
- Perform energy and mass balances on new unit operations.
- Assist with designing, assembling, and operating novel process infrastructure.
- Operate new unit operations, take data during operation, and assess performance of systems.
- Design and perform bench experiments to generate data.
- Perform data processing and interpretation.
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, extractive metallurgy, or a related field.
- Ability to interpret existing designs.
- Ability to safely use hand tools, power tools, and other shop equipment (wrenches, saws, drills, etc.)
- An understanding of safe laboratory and chemical handling practices.
- Hands-on experience in either bench chemistry or in fabricating small systems.
- Experience in designing or modeling chemical processes.
- Knowledge of inorganic chemistry and extractive metallurgy, especially hydrometallurgy.
What’s in it for you:
- Hands-on experience in an industry environment
- Opportunity to work on novel technologies
- Opportunity to collaborate with other teams
- The pay rate for this position is $28.00 per hour for undergraduate students and $31.00 per hour for graduate students.
- Interns are responsible for finding and paying for their housing solutions for the summer. Electra will provide suggestions for housing and will assist with connecting you with other interns after an accepted offer.