Mechanical Design Engineer, Fluid Systems
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
In this role, you will use your interdisciplinary skills to create compelling mechanical designs, manage contractors, and ensure smooth plant integration. You will be able to use your creativity to come up with clean sheet designs and improve designs created by others. We are looking for a team player with unique viewpoints excited to build a new generation of electrolysis equipment. We are hiring multiple candidates for this role.
You will be based in our office in San Carlos, CA with allowable hybrid work schedule. You will report to the Director of Mechanical Design Engineering, Fluid Systems.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with stack engineering, power systems engineering, product management teams, and outside contractors
- Develop next-generation modular mechanical designs that integrate structural, piping, control and electrical systems
- Create P&IDs, PFDs, and Isometric Drawings
- Review Pipe Weld Specifications and Welder Qualification (WPS, WPQR)
- Develop models to analyze stress, fluid, and thermal performance and inform design
- Create test plans for electrolysis fluid systems and component validation
- Perform fluid system and process equipment sizing calculations
- Create system specifications, and select off the shelf components
- Release products to manufacturing, supporting volume scale up
- 15% travel to contractor, vendor, and customer sites mostly domestic
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar
- 5+ years mechanical engineering/design (multidisciplinary skills preferred)
- Experienced with 2D/3D CAD piping design, combined with stress, thermal, fluids analysis (e.g. CAESAR II)
- Experience working in growing teams
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing, Modular Assembly, and Plant Maintenance
- Experience taking products from concept through manufacturing
- Eagerness to seek better solutions, asking fundamental questions
- Experience with ASME B31.3, 31.12, BPVC, and other process industry codes and standards
- Experience working with vendors and contractors
- Startup experience preferred
- Experience in renewable energy, climate tech, or chemical industries
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS | [San Carlos Zone] Mechanical Engineer (P3)
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!