Hazel Technologies Inc., founded in 2015, is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to improve the quality and extend the shelf life of fresh produce throughout the global supply chain. The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
The Buyer Planner executes purchase orders for raw materials and finished goods, work orders for outside processors, and transfer orders for material placement as directed by the Supply Chain Planning Manager to achieve the supply plan for Hazel Technologies products. The Buyer Planner independently works with 3rd party vendors to fulfill supply requirements on time and in full.
• Uses the Excel supply plan and Odoo, and eventually Oracle, to daily monitor the supply position and execute purchase/work/transfer orders to maintain adequate supply of materials according to the supply plan
• Contributes to supply planning and independently determines when and how much Hazel should purchase within stocking strategies
• Works closely with raw material and finished good vendors to ensure purchase orders are fulfilled on time and in full
• Meets weekly with outside processors to keep their schedules aligned and availability of stock updated
• Works with logistics and materials management to ensure replenishment orders for manufacturers and distribution partners are supplied on time and in full
• Ensures that a professional and consistent approach is taken in relation to all supplier relationships
• Contact suppliers to resolve price errors, quality, delivery, or invoice issues. Escalate as required
• Process purchase requests for other various items/services related to the Operations function
• Quickly and succinctly communicate any supply problems which may impact supply continuity
• Ensures master data regarding lead times, minimum order quantities, capacities, run rates, batch sizes, pack-out quantities, prices, etc. are up to date and reflected accurately across all systems for all raw materials, intermediates and finished products
• Supports the Supply Planning Meetings by ensuring proposed supply plan is published prior to meeting. Prepares production/purchasing reports as required, monitors and reports on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
• Supports new product introduction by obtaining quotes and proposals for raw materials and outside processing services
• 5+ years of experience in purchasing and inventory management, preferably within the manufacturing industry
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience, in Supply Chain Management, Industrial Engineering, Business, or a related field
• APICS certification is a plus
• Proficiency in ERP systems, inventory management tools, and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Strong Excel skills required (including Pivot Tables and advanced formulas)
• Strong negotiation skills, with a focus on cost reduction and supplier performance improvement
• Excellent analytical, attention to detail, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
• Excellent organization, prioritization and multi-tasking skills to meet deadlines
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with internal teams and external suppliers
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement, sustainability, and ethical procurement practices
Salary Range: $75,000-$95,000
You'll Love Working at Hazel Because
- We've come to transform the food system. You'll be able to make a big contribution to our work at the nexus of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only getting started.
- Our team is motivated by a set of shared values. These keep us on track and remind us how to be present every day in the midst of change and ambiguity. Collaboration, respect, positivity, and humility are all valued, whether in the office, at home, or on the fields, and we strive to empower individuals at every stage.
- Benefits and perks, of course!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. At Hazel, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org