Systems Engineering Intern (Spring 2024)
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
This internship is for the time period of January through April 2024. As the Systems Engineering Team intern at an early stage start-up, you’ll be working with a tight-knit, fast-paced team on a novel consumer product. Your day-to-day will include hands-on work with hardware components and lab equipment as well as building test set-ups. Since we’re a small team, your work and learning will span firmware, hardware, and system testing as we push towards launch. This internship is for someone who wants to learn about many different topics, be creatively challenged and be a part of creating a first generation project.
- Work closely with the Mill cross functional team on the system design and validation of new products.
- Building test setups and exploring new ways to control our system
- Support system engineering testing activities by working with firmware, and product designers to troubleshoot and drive system level performance.
- Develop prototypes and execute tests in order to drive design towards mass production maturity.
- BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Chemical Engineering or Computer Science (obtained or in progress)
- Working knowledge of controls and design of electro-mechanical systems.
- Familiar with 3D CAD and proficient in python programming
- Proficient in a variety of rapid prototyping methods.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Diverse interests and with hands on attitude
- Experience with simulation tools (FEA and thermal) and statistical analysis methods.
- Experience with CFD or process flow modeling
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor an employment visa for this role.
For your awareness, we have been requiring that all employees and visitors who come into our offices verify that they are fully vaccinated with respect to COVID-19. Of course we are open to discussing accommodations where legally required, such as for medical or religious reasons. If you need to discuss accommodations or better understand this requirement, please let me know. Otherwise, please prepare to provide verification of your vaccination.