Marketing & Communications
San Leandro, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
At New Culture, we make cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with plant-based ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth phase launching our first product - melty, stretchy mozzarella for pizzerias - later this year. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Marketing Coordinator / Manager to join us in our mission of leading the transition to an animal-free dairy future. By being one of our early employees, you will have a significant say and responsibility in determining the success and outcomes of New Culture.
What will you be doing:
- As our first marketing coordinator/manager, you will work with our Commercial VP, PR/creative agencies, and pizzeria launch partners to devise and execute a holistic digital marketing plan including social, web, email, blog and influencer. You’ll also roll up your sleeves as a marketing generalist to support our upcoming product launch (at Nancy Silverton’s Pizzeria Mozza) and industry events (e.g. Pizza Expo, Future FoodTech, NRA). This is a critical role for telling the New Culture story and amplifying our brand presence with consumers, the food/restaurant industry, and other key stakeholder groups.
- Social/digital: 50%. Take ownership of and grow our online presence by coming up with ideas for and then generating all content and copy (e.g. social, blog, newsletter, SEO), establishing our influencer program, being responsible for community management, refining our digital footprint, and launching New Culture into new platforms. This will also entail ensuring brand alignment and consistency across platforms as well as setting/tracking growth metrics and analytics.
- Events: 25%. Help to execute and attend events for product launch, restaurant and chef partnerships, tastings (including with consumers and brand ambassadors), and industry conferences. Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to execute design and production of event materials, onsite activities, and vendor coordination. Identify industry events for company attendance and speaking opportunities. 0-2 events anticipated per quarter, domestic event travel anticipated 0-2 times per quarter.
- Project management: 20%. Develop frameworks, systems, and processes to execute our marketing activities flawlessly and consistently. Establish cadence for content generation, reviews and posting, securing buy-in from internal teams and external partners.
- Brand: 5%. Lead implementation of brand extensions into new channels to capitalize on untapped opportunities with target audiences. Stay on top of brand, product, and digital trends and identify what’s new and relevant for our brand.
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's degree and 2-5 years of digital marketing experience in an agency/consultancy, large organization, or start-up where you juggled multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment. Strong project management, interpersonal, and collaborative skills.
- Outstanding written communication skills for a range of formats including social media posts, longer-form blogs, and newsletters.
- Proven experience developing and implementing campaigns across common platforms with industry-standard software (IG, LinkedIn, FB, X, TikTok; Canva, Figma, Sprout, etc.), from planning and content creation/copywriting to managing an organization’s online presence and influencer program. Thorough understanding of the social/digital landscape.
- Excitement to help us make the brand transition from pre-commercial to commercial. Experience working with BD/sales, partnerships and product teams to execute GTM plans for new products.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a range of internal and external stakeholders (e.g. PR / marketing / creative firms, customers) with limited oversight.
- Attention to detail and holistic, creative mindset. When it comes to campaign/event/brand execution, no detail is too small and no step of the process can afford to be overlooked.
- Experience measuring and reporting on the success of marketing initiatives and proposing ideas for continuous improvements.
Even better if you had:
- Experience with consumer and/or technical brands, especially food/culinary, CPG, wellness or lifestyle companies.
- Experience in a start-up and/or fast growing organization.
- Strong design orientation and aesthetic sensibilities with an eye toward creativity.
- Experience shooting photo/video content.
- Experience with field marketing including conferences and brand events.
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Creativity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product (not just the Science) | The science is cool but the product is even cooler. Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.