Formulation (Senior) Research Associate - Product Development
Formulation (Senior) Research Associate – Product Development
Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors and has shared project responsibility. Has proven initiative as demonstrated by accomplishments as an individual and as part of a group. Shows initiative in keeping abreast of literature in field of interest. Demonstrates knowledge of specialized laboratory equipment and scientific techniques. Has gained the respect within the company and outside the company as a consistent contributor to scientific project progress.
Supervision and Mentoring Required
Normally receives no instruction on routine work, and general guidance on new assignments. Will independently propose and execute new projects within the scope of NewLeaf’s interests. Will mentor newer research associates/assistants and contractors if necessary.
Expectation of Job, duties and responsibilities
- Assists in development of new formulations for microbial products, including powders, dry granules, seed treatment formulations, and stabilized liquid formulations; aqueous suspensions, SCs, ECs, ODs and micro-emulsions.
- Independently conducts shelf stability studies, tank mix compatibility studies, on seed stability studies, rain-fastness, spray-ability, adjuvant compatibility and other studies to ensure the commercial viability of formulated products.
- Designs and evaluates current and new formulations for different application methods including planter box, seed treatment, in-furrow and foliar.
- In collaboration with the Fermentation group, assists in the design and execution of downstream processing experiments – filtration, centrifugation, evaporation, lyophilization, spray dry, granulation, fluidized bed, etc.
- Optimizes and scales formulations to reach target yields and costs.
- Collects and maintains detailed records of experimental data and performs preliminary data analysis.
- Understands biological products including natural products chemistry and microbial physiology of bacteria, filamentous bacteria, and fungi.
- Energetic and self-motivated individual able to work in a team environment with relentlessly progressing schedules.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with R&D, regulatory, management, and external collaborators.
- Expected to consistently deliver high quality scientific presentations internally and at external conferences.
Minimum Qualification (Education and Experience)
- Senior research associate level requires a BS with 3-5 years or an MS with 0-2 years of relevant experience.
- Research associate level requires a BS with 0-2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with formulation of microorganisms/natural products and/or agrochemical formulation development is a plus.
- Experience in the handling and/or application of agrochemical products is a plus.
Employee should be able to work in a standard laboratory and office work environment. Occasionally lift up to 50 pounds in materials.