- Research and identify the critical performance characteristics of target food applications. Develop model systems of food matrices and related tests to measure these characteristics to capture the performance of Shiru’s novel ingredients
- Accelerate product development by providing a deep understanding of how each novel ingredient performs in relevant experimental landscapes.
- Formulate food product concepts and recipes to demonstrate the functional attributes of Shiru’s ingredients and present the concepts to our customers, partners, investors, and the media.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of scientists, engineers, and business development experts to leverage each unique skill set the Shiru team brings together.
- Perform research using analytical techniques to interrogate food systems, including but not limited to: DSC, particle size analysis, rheology, texture profile analysis, microscopy, DLS, sensory analysis, and tribology
- Serve as the technical liaison between Shiru’s ingredient discovery team and our customers, delivering clear results to multiple stakeholders that ultimately shorten our time to market
- BA/BS in Food Science, Biophysics, Chemistry, Material Science or relevant Engineering discipline, ideally with a few years of industry experience
- Advanced knowledge of food chemistry, protein chemistry, ingredient functionality and interactions, and model system design is required.
- Familiarity with food processing techniques, food microbiology, and food safety fundamentals is a plusSuperb technical problem solving and analytical skills and excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in experimental design, data analysis, and interpretation
- Personal attributes include being adaptive, resourceful, self-motivated, curious, independent, and thriving in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Exposure to a variety of food processing technologies and how they can influence functional properties of macromolecules is a plus
- A deep passion for food and its importance in human & planetary health in line with the Shiru values