Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
Sofar Ocean builds and deploys thousands of low-cost, global, open ocean sensors to remote and harsh environments, and we're growing! We're seeking a Production Associate to join our small but mighty production team. Using your assembly superpowers building Sofar’s smart buoys and sensing platform systems, you will not only be making a direct impact on the planet's ocean, but also get to work with some really passionate co-workers.
This role would work onsite from our Pier 28 location in San Francisco, CA. Hours are 8:00am - 4:30pm
Impact You’ll Own
- Perform routine technical work including inspecting, assembling, testing, packaging.
- Review work schedule and follow work instructions to assemble products.
- Fill out traveler/checklist and enter data to the database.
- Read technical literature, schematics, and documents.
- Testing of products per specific testing protocols.
- Daily use of hand and power tools.
- Meet daily production quality and productivity targets.
- Gather parts, sub-assemblies, tools, and materials required for specific work orders.
- Work well under pressure using your own initiative, sometimes without direct instructions or supervision.
- Perform in-process inspection on box builds, sub-assemblies, PCBAs, and cables, etc.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment according to OSHA and as instructed by the manager to comply with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Perform cross training for other production competencies as requested by the company.
- Quickly adapt to new projects, and complete tasks within a set time frame.
- Receiving work assignments from the Production Manager, Production Lead, perform operations per released work instructions, escalating technical problems as necessary.
- High School diploma or GED
- Minimum 3-5 years of direct experience building electro-mechanical products and assemblies.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience in a fast-paced startup environment, comfortable with wearing multiple hats at once, and a keen understanding of urgency, responsibility, and timing.
- Computer literacy using Google apps, Slack and Notion.
- Understanding of IPC standards for PCBA’s, PCBA rework, PCBA assembly a major plus.
- Hand and body dexterity for mechanical assembly, with excellent mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to be a detailed oriented team player, but also work well independently when required.
- High proficiency and understanding using power tools, power tools, and other assembly equipment.
- Attention to details. You strive for excellence in everything you do.
- Sense of urgency to meet deadlines on time under minimal supervision.
- You love to build things.
Physical Requirements of the Role
- Ability to lift 40+ pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to operate standard production equipment.
- Ability to climb stairs.
Estimated Salary Range
- $28.00 – $36.00 hourly
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.