Agronomy Manager (Southeast)
Why you should join us:
At Sound Agriculture, we believe our food system can nourish consumers while benefiting farming communities and the planet. Through a deeper understanding of plant and microbial biology, we are leveraging the natural power of plants to make agriculture more agile and resilient. Our work focuses on developing nutrient efficiency products and modernizing plant breeding to improve the way we farm and the food we eat.
Sound is a Series D startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture including Leaps by Bayer, Syngenta Group Ventures, S2G Ventures, BMO Impact Investment Fund, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Fall Line Capital, Cavallo Ventures, FootPrint Coalition and Northpond Ventures.
What you'll do:
We are hiring an Agronomy Manager to lead a team of Agronomists who partner with our sales teams in achieving maximum sales growth through new sales enablement, and high-level customer engagement. This role provides day to day leadership for approximately 5 direct reports, delivers agronomic support and consultation to growers and dealers, and supports organizational learning and understanding of the SOURCE product line. The Agronomy Manager is expected to be comfortable giving presentations, interviews, and interacting with a variety of audiences discussing soil health and fertility.
The Agronomy Manager is based remotely in the Southeastern U.S. (TN, MS, AR, AL, GA, SC) and requires 30% +/- travel. The role reports to the Sr. Director, Agronomy.
$108,000 to $120,000 base salary
$15,000 to $20,000 commission target
10% performance bonus target
Commission targets are uncapped and measured by the territory achievement to goal. Bonus targets are earned based on annual company and individual performance and are prorated based on start date.
Sound reserves the ability to adjust the compensation range based on the final candidate’s experience, skillset, and geography. In addition to on target earnings, we offer above average equity grants for the industry as we believe that every employee should have a stake in the company’s growth. If you’re above this compensation target, we encourage you to reach out and discuss the entire package and opportunity before deciding not to pursue this position.
- Serve as a leader for a team of agronomists spanning earlier career to well-tenured
- Deliver agronomic support and knowledge of Sound products to sales team, growers and retailers
- Help with agronomy support during planting and harvest seasons to ensure optimal placement of SOURCE to maximize yield and minimize fertilizer waste
- Maintain and develop close grower and retailer relationships with key customers by providing professional agronomic service
- Coordinate technical and marketing activities, such as field days, grower meetings, demonstrations trials and partner trials sites
- Maintain industry awareness regarding technical developments via networking, personal development and training
- Ensure grower retention, satisfaction and increased use of our Source product on their acres by advising on use, in-season observations, and end-of-year evaluation
- Responsible for engaging with agronomic groups that are associated with universities, state/regional, seed, fertilizer companies and others
- Assist product team in implementing trial programs with growers/retailers to ensure adoption and analysis/reporting of results
Targeted Skills & Experience
- Technical expertise in agronomy or directly related role consulting with growers, retailers, field development, product development, and sales teams; ideally with a technology/inputs provider, retail, or consulting
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities either as a strong peer leader (internal candidates), or experience managing a team of agronomists
- Strong preference for candidates with experience in cotton production
- Passion for agriculture and understanding of the ag inputs market
- Experience leading field trials, to develop new products and markets
- Knowledge of digital tools and passion for using them to increase frequency of and quality of engagement with customers
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite, Salesforce and/or other CRM systems
- Experience in customer support increasing customer satisfaction, adoption, and retention
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: Proactively seeks out opportunities to promote and represent the SOURCE product line. Develops trials and field observations to drive product adoption within the region.
- Ownership: Self starter and motivated to achieve quarterly goals. Serves as the product expert and trusted source for agronomic information in the region.
- Tenacity: Go the extra mile to achieve successful outcomes.
- Creativity: Continue to challenge the market with new ideas on how to implement and measure the success of the Source product. Leverage top notch agronomy team to validate product efficacy and demonstrate to potential customers.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work in a disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive total rewards package, including equity
- Performance bonus structure or uncapped commission plan for sales positions
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Mental health and wellbeing benefits
- In-person and virtual events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!) (e.g. First Fridays, Meditation, Potlucks, Cultural Events, Running and Climbing groups, Photo Contests, weekly Team lunch, etc.)
Sound Agriculture does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies responding to job postings. We will not respond to unsolicited requests to submit candidates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.