Food Safety and Quality Manager
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
What you will own at Wildtype
- Quality management of all Wildtype products
- Quality assurance & food safety programs, serving as PCQI
- All inspection activities
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Audit of suppliers, ingredients, raw materials, and supplies used within our production process
- Inspection and evaluation of our production process
- Hazard analysis across all chemical hazards, physical hazards, allergens, and microbiological hazards to prevent contamination and develop strong safety protocols
- Revision process for all operational SOPs and ownership of quality / food safety KPIs
- Data analysis and identification of trends for measuring our success and troubleshooting problems
What we’ll teach you
How to apply your experience in food quality and safety to an entirely novel production system
- How to collaborate with and lead in a fast-moving, interdisciplinary team working at the leading edge of several fields
What you bring to Wildtype
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (ie. Biology, Chemistry, or Food Science) or equivalent experience, and a deep understanding of food microbiology
- 5+ years experience in executing food safety & quality programs in the food industry
- PCQI and/or HACCP/FSMA certification, GFSI & FSMS experience a plus
- A thorough understanding of GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices), and a commitment to strong safety procedures
- Passion for working in a fast-moving environment where first-principles thinking and rigorous prioritization are daily requirements
- A hands-on and collaborative approach to food safety work
- Experience working with regulatory requirements and compliance, such as the FDA, USDA, and other governing bodies
- Within 1 month you will assume full responsibilities of our food safety & quality processes. You will have adapted your experience to Wildtype’s unique manufacturing context. You will have defined your professional development goals for the next 12 months.
- Within 3 months you will have right-sized our preventative maintenance and quality protocols. You will have worked cross-functionally with Operations and our R&D team to understand the requirements of our technology and process, and to develop SOPs and safety procedures.
- Within 6 months you will be working closely with our Operations & Manufacturing teams to ensure a high standard for food safety and quality. You will have built and operationalized an end-to-end food safety program for the world’s first cultivated seafood company. You will interact regularly with our end customers to ensure quality satisfaction. You can expect to periodically report progress on your projects to our entire team and will feel accountable for our product quality and safety.
- Within 12 months you will be leading the food safety & quality procedures for the world’s first full-scale production plant for cultivated seafood and will be laying the groundwork for the next level of scaled production. You will be leading our interactions with regulatory authorities not just in the United States, but overseas. Your work in bringing one of the first cultivated seafood products in the world to market will position you as a global thought leader on food safety for this new form of meat and seafood production.
Location: This position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.