Zero Acre Farms
Why We Exist
We believe a healthier world is possible with better oils and fats.
Vegetable oils account for 20% of our daily calories and have been linked to chronic disease, inflammation, obesity, and cognitive decline, as well as deforestation, biodiversity loss, and climate change, with no end in sight.
Vegetable oils are now the most consumed food in the world behind rice and wheat and are the fastest growing sub sector of global agriculture. More vegetable oil is consumed globally than all beef, chicken, cheese, and shrimp, combined.
The world needs an oil change.
Zero Acre Farms is on a mission to replace destructive vegetable oils in the food system with healthier, more sustainable oils and fats made by fermentation. Our first product, Cultured Oil, just launched DTC as we look ahead to retail, foodservice, and food manufacturing expansion.
We’re a team of food lovers, nutrition believers, innovators, doctors, sustainability advocates, PhD’s, and problem solvers. We believe in taking care of our health and our planet’s health without sacrificing the foods we love. We started Zero Acre Farms out of concern for what we’re all involuntarily putting into our bodies and the profound effect it’s having on our health and the natural world.
Zero Acre Farms is backed by an incredible group of investors, including mission-driven VC’s, celebrities, influencers, and change makers.
Zero Acre Farms is seeking a Bioanalytical Chemistry Research Associate to join our growing Bioanalytical Team. This position requires a process and data driven mindset, understanding of fundamentals of analytical method development, extraction and enrichment methodologies, as well as chromatographic separations and compound identification. You will work cross functionally to develop and execute new and existing methods for various aspects of lipid analysis and characterization to support the development of new products, production cultures and processes. Through this role, you will directly contribute to our mission to deliver delicious, healthy, and sustainable oils and fats to the world.
Knowledge or familiarity with bioprocesses, experimental design, data analysis and interpretation are expected for this role. We seek an analytical chemist and problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment.
- Operate and maintain analytical instrumentation such as HPLC and GC and other lab equipment.
- Prepare reagents, calibration standards, and samples for analysis.
- Perform existing assays and develop and optimize new methods.
- Keep excellent experimental records, possess technical and scientific understanding of bioanalytical assays to support the development.
- Manipulate and analyze large datasets.
- Effectively communicate results to the analytical team and cross-functionally.
- Work with the lab manager to ensure adequate supplies of consumables and reagents.
- Follow and maintain laboratory safety protocol and health conscious environment in the workplace.
- BS in chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, bioengineering, or related fields with 2 years of relevant industry or academic experience
- Previous experience operating and maintaining analytical instrumentation, including HPLC, GC, spectrophotometers, and data analysis software
- Understanding and experience with the fundamentals of chromatography and analytical separations
- Proven ability to follow SOPs and optimize existing methods
- Time management and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Thrive in a fluid, dynamic start-up environment building capabilities from the ground up
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Able to collaborate effectively within multi-disciplinary teams
- Effectively communicate results to the bioanalytical team and cross-functionally
What We Offer
- The excitement and purpose of a mission-driven startup and the stability of a well-funded company with experienced founders and executives at the helm
- Empowered team members with minimal bureaucracy
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Flexible vacation time (minimum 3 weeks)Focus on uninterrupted deep work time every day
- Medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, life coverage, health and dependent care FSA (flexible spending account), 401k
- Additional perks like Audible membership and free books
- Fun and engaging community
- Work with mission driven, ambitious, health-conscious colleagues who care about their work and each other.
A Note From Our Founders
The majority of Americans are sick. Let that sink in. More people have a chronic disease than not in this country! 6 out of 10. And a hundred years ago, almost no one had a chronic disease. Our healthy life expectancy is decreasing for the first time in recorded history. Our solution so far has been more prescription drugs (in 2018, the average American filled eighteen prescriptions).
Our planet is also being destroyed by the day. The Amazon loses about 2 football fields of rainforest every minute, mostly to grow industrial monocrops like seed oils that make us sick. Species extinction is at an all time high. Some projections say we only have 60 harvests left before our soil doesn't support any more life.
The real issue? These problems are interconnected. We're destroying the planet to grow food that makes us sick.
How is this not one of the most important, urgent, and talked about issues of our generation? We want to change that. We want to slow down and ideally reverse the skyrocketing rates of chronic disease and environmental impact caused by what we eat. We truly believe that we can save millions of lives, as well as millions of acres of rainforest, if we are successful in our mission of replacing destructive vegetable oils in our food supply.
That’s what drives us, and we hope you’ll join us.